Following feed-back from players, parents and coaches the Junior Development Committee has reviewed the Leinster match-play series.
The main areas that the revised format addresses are:
- Easy to understand format & progression
- Provision of quality matches at the correct level for each player
- Short duration of events
- Similar number of matches for all
Transition Rankings will be used until the end of the year. Details in Tennis Ireland website: CLICK HERE
National Match-plays (National Match-Play Category):
- Players can enter the National Match-plays directly.
- Information: CLICK HERE
- Players that have entered the National Match-plays and are the highest 12 Ranked boys and girls in the Tennis Ireland National Junior Ranking on Tuesday 7th November will be directly accepted.
- Players that have been directly accepted in the National Match-plays will not be eligible to play in the Provincial Match-plays.
- The winner of each Provincial Match-play will be awarded one place in the National Match-plays, provided that he/she is ranked within the top 30 in the Tennis Ireland National Junior Ranking.
- If any of the directly accepted players withdraws, the space that becomes available in the National match-play will be offered to the highest ranked player in the Tennis Ireland National Junior Ranking on Tuesday 7th November. Players must have taken part in the Provincial match-play Series to be eligible.
- If the winner of the Provincial Match-play is not available to play or is directly accepted into the National match-plays, the runner-up in the Provincial match-play will be offered the position provided that he/she is ranked within the top 30 players in the Tennis Ireland National Junior Ranking.
- If there are no eligible players in the provincial match-play winner or runner-up positions the remaining space will be offered to players following the Tennis Ireland National Junior Ranking. Players must have taken part in the Provincial match-play Series to be eligible.
Provincial Match-plays (Category 2):
- Players can enter the Provincial Match-plays directly.
- Online Entry & Regulations: CLICK HERE
- The Provincial Match-plays for Under 12, Under 14 & Under 16 players will take place in November:
- Under 14 & Under 16: Saturday 18th and Sunday 19th November
- Under 12: Friday 24th and Sunday 26th November (no matches on Saturday 25th )
- Online entry (no initial payment required) into the Provincial Match-plays will close on Tuesday 10th October at midnight.
- Players that have entered the Provincial Match-plays and are the highest 12 Ranked boys and 13 ranked girls in the Tennis Ireland National Junior Ranking on Tuesday 10th October will be directly accepted.
- The list of players directly accepted will be published on Wedesday 11th October.
- Accepted players must confirm their entry by paying the entry fee before midnight Sunday 15th October.
- If any Autumn Series match-play is cancelled because of lack of entries, one extra player will be accepted directly into the relevant event of the Provincial Match-plays.
- If any extra space becomes available because of players being directly accepted into the National MPs or withdrawals it will be offered to the player that has entered the Leinster Provincial Match-plays or played in the Autumn Series and is the highest ranked player in the Tennis Ireland National Junior Ranking on Tuesday 7th November.
Autumn Match-play Series (Category 3):
- The Series has been introduced to replace the Winter Regional Match-plays.
- The online entry into the Autumn Match-play Series will open on the 10th October. Rules & Regulations: CLICK HERE
- Players that have been directly accepted into the Provincial Match-plays WILL NOT BE ELIGIBLE to play in the Autumn Series.
- Players CAN ENTER ONLY ONE EVENT in the Leinster Autumn Series. Such event must be in their AGE GROUP: U16 born 2002 or 2003, U14 born 2004 or 2005 & U12 born 2006 or 2007.
- Entries will be LIMITED TO 16 PLAYERS per event. Players will be accepted on a FIRST COME FIRST SERVED basis.
- Once the maximum number of entries is reached players will be placed in a reserve list according to the date and time of their entry. If any accepted player withdraws before the draw starts, players will be offered a space following the order on the reserve list.
- The winner of each draw will be awarded one place in the Provincial Match-plays.
- Events will be held in many venues scattered around Leinster. Full list available: HERE
Other tournaments available during the Halloween half-term period:
Friday 27th to Monday 30th October
- Castlebar Indoor Open Category 1
- Naas U10 & U12 Category 1
- Ballinlough Junior Open Category 2
- Naas U12 Phoenix Phoenix (RR 21st & 22nd Oct)
Monday 30th October to 4th November:
- Ulster Indoor @ David Lloyd Belfast Category 2
- Brookfield U14 Phoenix (31st Oct & 1st Nov) Phoenix
- Brookfield U12 Phoenix (2nd & 3rd Nov) Phoenix
We’d like to bring to all players’ attention the Tennis Ireland Rules and Regulations for the Conduct of Tournaments:
“A player is specifically prohibited from entering more than one tournament advertised to take place during the same period except in the case of two events which overlap by no more than two days and then only with the prior written consent of the organiser of the later event. Failure to comply with this rule may result in sanction and will result in the loss of any ranking points acquired in any of the tournaments involved.”
And Rule 22.214.171.124
“A player who informs a tournament of withdrawal, after the draw has been made, for other than reason of injury will be liable to a fine or penalty.”
Taking the above rules into consideration and in order to avoid problems, we advise players not to enter one event in the Autumn Match-play Series and one of the tournaments listed above if there is an overlap on any of the dates. It is very likely to end in penalties as consequence of a walk-over.